Monday, April 5, 2010

Supplements - A Stepwise Approach

Before being diagnosed with diabetes over 14 years ago, the only supplement I was taking was a multi-vitamin. I added a couple of capsules of fish oil daily and, as I read more, I experimented with more supplements. Usually, I will start with a smaller dose and gradually build to a larger therapeutic dose. By adding new supplements one at a time gradually, I am able to ascertain how the supplements are working for me.

Only once did I have a strongly negative reaction to a supplement. That was the herbal extract ephedra which contains ephedrine, a powerful stimulant that greatly benefits weight loss but with some very negative side effects. I figured out it was not for me ... long before FDA banned it. I cannot think of any other supplement in the last two decades which has been implicated in seriously negative side effects. Supplements do not have a record of serious side effects like pharmaceuticals which have even resulted in death in rare cases. Nonetheless, sensitive people may find they have problems with mega doses of some supplements. Alpha lipoic acid is an example of an excellent supplement for diabetics that I need to be careful with. I used to take 3 x 600mg a day which I regard as the maximum reasonable dose. ALA is very acidic and I found that large 600mg capsules sometimes gave me a little heartburn. Now, I take 4 x 300mg/day with no problems.

I do take many supplements. I do believe that therapeutic doses are often mega doses. I do not think that anybody should add more than one new supplement at a time and it is best to increase dosage gradually.

Will supplements dramatically improve your health? I do hear accounts of significant improvement related to supplements, especially fish oil and Vitamin D3, but most supplements are an act of faith. I take my supplements regularly and I notice nothing. It seems as if nothing has happened -- nothing at all. No heart disease, no neuropathy, no retinopathy, no kidney disease -- nothing at all.

And that's why I take supplements.

5 comments:

  1. Denny, what you say about perceivably dramatic improvement in health not happening with the use of supplements is true. I believe supplements might be helping us "silently", that is, without putting up a dramatic show.

    But I see that omega-3 supplementation yields quite perceivable improvements. The remaining dark patches on my face and neck are disappearing fast. Skin has become less dry (not just because spring has arrived) and skin tone has improved. Minor aches and pains (mainly on account of over exertion during exercise or doing heavy work like shovelling snow or moving heavy objects) disappear far quickly now than before supplementation with omega-3.

    Regards,
    Rad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rad,

    Glad that omega-3 has helped you so clearly. I find fish oil to be strongly anti-inflammatory and it seems to work better than aspirin or other NSAIDs to relieve some minor aches and pains. I also credit it to contributing to my large drop in serum triglycerides and CRP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rad,

    Remembering you were looking for vegetarian omega-3 sources, you may be interested in the new vegetarian EPA being introduced by DuPont.

    http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Industry/DuPont-launches-high-dose-vegetarian-EPA-omega-3-form/?c=PlxCReLmonC4y/xbj3wqJw%3D%3D&utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2BDaily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Denny, that is quite intetesting. But the article does not tell us how to go about buying the stuff. I don't think it is available in drug stores yet. Even if it becomes available in the US, it is not likely to come to Canada soon. Let us hope that Swanson or some other internet vendor will carry it and we can buy from them online.

    Did you see the counter argument against omega-3 here: http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Omega-3-not-healthy-enough-to-eat-into-fish-stocks-claims-study . I think their concern is primarily depletion of fish stocks although they mention something about the lack of sufficient research to prove the beneficial effects of omega-3.

    Regards,
    Rad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand their concern, Rad, about depletion of future fish resources. Fish oil will add to the pressure and I anticipate seeing rising prices. Hopefully, efforts to develop commercial plant derived sources of EPA and DHA will be successful. At first, it will be too costly for non-vegetarians.

    Omega-3's health benefits are very well substantiated and the body evidence is huge in my view. I suppose medical science is never completely conclusive, but I think this argument is weak.

    ReplyDelete